[time-nuts] Re: FS740 Thoughts?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Nov 17 13:56:39 UTC 2021

Hi

I have a 740 as do others on the list. The big gotcha is the OCXO in the device.
It has various quirks that limit the performance of the device. The ADEV plot they
show for the OCXO is a “sometimes / maybe / might” sort of thing. One of the
“get to it eventually” projects here is to see if it can be replaced with something
that has better ADEV performance.

Be wary of folks showing up in dirt parking lots in the middle of Montana with one
in the back of their car …. :) Doubly so if the car shows signs of having hauled
a dozen Cs standards up various mountains….. If they are named Tom, simply
give up and accept that once you see one you will eventually buy one…

The process goes sort of like: Gee, that’s a lot of money. Later on, … I need a few
more standard lines at this or that frequency … Then it goes to If only I could come
up with *that* signal … hmmm … 740 would do that … hmmmm…. off you go to
get one.

It’s a handy box to do a variety of things with. The only issue I’ve seen is the OCXO
performance.

Bob