[time-nuts] Re: function generator

Jeremy Elson jelson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 16:52:28 UTC 2021

I did not see any such setting in the Rigol, but I'll check again. in April
I did write to Rigol to report the problem and had the following (abridged)
conversation with support:

Me:

"I recently tried to use your DG1022Z signal generator to generate one
pulse-per-second (pulse mode, frequency 1.000000hz, width 10 microseconds).
However, it appears there is a small frequency error of one part in 1e11,
i.e. the pulse per second gets later by about 6 nanoseconds every 1,000
seconds." [More technical description abridged, including a link to a
graph.]

Rigol:

"Please find the following datasheet for DG1000Z, the accuracy is +/-1ppm.
If your pulse is 1second with 10us width, 6ns per 1000s is in the accuracy
range."  [They attached an image of a page from the DG1000Z datasheet,
showing a line that said "Accuracy: +/- 1ppm of the setting value"]

Me:

"Is this the specification even when the unit is provided with an accurate
external clock?"

Rigol:

"I would say Yes. The internal processing circuit will effect the clock
signal,  harmonics and phase noise will result the frequency variance."

-Jeremy