[time-nuts] Re: function generator

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon Nov 22 18:41:07 UTC 2021

On 11/22/21 10:19 AM, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:

> Am 22.11.21 um 18:31 schrieb Erik Kaashoek:
>> Some time ago I needed a output at 10,000000.001Hz so I tried to do
>> that with a SI5351.
>> Using pure integer math (as the PLL and divider register are
>> integers) i search for a combination of 3 divider/multipliers that
>> gave the least error.
>> If the reference frequency is not integer related to the internal PLL
>> frequency and  multiplier/divider registers you always will have
>> limited accuracy as there is a fractional error.
>> The amount of error will depend on the number of digits in the
>> multiplier/divider register lengths and the care you take to search
>> for the best solution.
>> If the DDS has a PLL driven clock this could be the cause.
>
> There once was a BCD DDS chip made by Standard Telecom.
> Doing that in an FPGA would be an easy exercise.
>
> Cheers, Gerhard

All of this stuff is straightforward, but the challenge is that your
stuck with the implementation of a particular manufacturer. Which is
often not particularly well documented or understood. (when I talked to
Agilent about the 33622 it was pretty obvious that the external
reference was sort of an afterthought)