[time-nuts] Re: List Opinion/Suggestion(s)

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 07:18:08 UTC 2021

> kb8tq at n1k.org  said:
>> I would strongly suggest that with NTP ???more is better???. Three reference
>> devices is about the minimum. Five is a good target to aim for.

One suggestion I make to folk who ask is to use the "pool" directive.  This
allows NTP to choose as many servers as it needs (according to a pre-configured
compile-time constant), and it will automatically drop and add servers as
needed.  OK, it's a little more complicated than that but using pool is easy:

Replace the lines:

     # Use pool NTP servers
     server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst
     server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst
     server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst

with the single line:

     # Use pool NTP servers
     pool uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst

if you are in the US, for example:

     # Use pool NTP servers
     pool us.pool.ntp.org  iburst

and you can use multiple lines such as a Dutch user might have:

     # Use pool NTP servers
     pool nl.pool.ntp.org  iburst
     pool uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst

See: