[time-nuts] Re: Seeking advice: Is this the right way to check very short term (below 1s) stability?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 28 18:29:17 UTC 2021

Hi

The AR-60A is a pretty good “telecom” grade Rb. Depending on which one
you have it will have a 1 second ADEV in the 5x10^-12 (rare) to 1.5x10^-11
range.

Once you get inside the 1 second range on any Rb, the ADEV is going to be
dominated by the OCXO in the device. The telecom grade units are rarely
targeted at super duper low phase noise.

In any setup that compares A to B and gives you a result, the numbers will
be dominated by the performance of the worse of the two devices. VCO’s
rarely have good ADEV …..

Bob