[time-nuts] Re: Project Great

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Nov 29 15:36:50 UTC 2021

Hi

All these devices *can* be sensitive to the environment. What degree of
sensitivity they have is a function of how “nutty” one went on this or that
design. It also is a function of things like cost, size, and power consumption.

The target market for things like the 5071 is a “we can afford it” sort of
crew. Even today various government agencies from various countries
buy the bulk of the 5071’s produced. Yes sorting this out is a bit complicated.
Multi step procurement is pretty common.

Telecom Rb’s and OCXO’s normally go into a *very* different market. There
is indeed a “good enough” point at which the willingness to pay goes away.
Temperature stability is one of many things that could be better if more
money / power / volume was thrown at the problem.

So no, not a simple single answer.

Bob