[time-nuts] Re: HP 5065A, no 2nd harmonic.

Jared Cabot jaredcabot at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 30 14:36:46 UTC 2021

Ok, so I carefully dismantled the OCXO and I may have found the culprit... The screws holding the two transistors to the metal body were both less than finger tight!
Don't know how that happened, so they were cinched up to 5in-lbs with the torque screwdriver as per the service manual, and I'll give the thing a test once it's all back together.
I'll have a dig around to see if I can find a small thermocouple or similar to see what the oven temperature is at now.

Also, I noticed that a 2.0uF, 20% film capacitor in there is looking like it's had a bit of heat-stroke.
It measures 2.119uF, 0.22ohm ESR, with a dissipation of 0.004 @ 40V, @ 1kHz, so it seems to test ok.
Does this look like it needs to be replaced (picture link below)? I can't find the same part on Digikey/Mouser, but it seems like Keysight have them as 'orderable' status.
Details are as follows: P/N: 0160-4947 Part Description: Capacitor-Fixed 2uF +-20PCT 50V polyester metallized THT

https://i.imgur.com/aZ0KUD8.jpg

Thanks!
Jared