[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A - Dead GPS Receiver - Oncore VP

CFO tnut1 at sv16.org
Tue Oct 12 04:47:46 UTC 2021

>>> My Z3810 had begun to show Alarm on the GPS receiver.
>>> On Coldstart it seems like it lives for 10min or so , and the enters
>>> alarm state.
>>> I'm quite sure it's the GPS receiver that has gone to "heaven" ,
>>> never got that "Coldstart" every 6 months incorporated in my routines

Well (Oopz - It is a Z3801A i have)

I dug out the Z3801 from storage (10 months), gave it a new 48V PSU and
started it up.
To my surprise it locked to 3 sats, after a few hours. And is now
happily humming away.
I did "quick" test the old 48V PSU, loaded with 600mA. And it keept the
48V fine, doubt it was the cause.

The "Lady" (Heather) shows that, The "Old Lady" (Z3801A) has 122700
active hours (14yr)
Maybe it was the GPS oscillator that needed that restart, as per the
service note.

https://synergy-gps.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/VP_SERVICE_NOTE.pdf
****** SNIP ******
Turn off all power to the GPS unit. The unit must be completely powered
down for
at least two minutes. After two minutes, turn the power on.

This procedure should be performed every three to six months. This will
allow the unit
to perform a self-diagnostic routine and recalibrate an internal
component for optimal
performance.

The SN explicit says "Turn off all power for minimum 2 min", would that
have influence on the OCXO stability ?
Wonder why a : *TST   - Would not do it (The reboot & cal)  .. Anyone
have an idea ?

Thank you goes to the nice person that off-list offered to have a look
in the "drawer" for a VP.
Let's see if it's still needed.

CFO
Denmark