[time-nuts] Re: thermodynamics of time keeping

Hal Murray halmurray+timenuts at sonic.net
Tue Sep 7 21:24:18 UTC 2021

phk at phk.freebsd.dk said:
> But putting multiple '04 inverters in sequence was a well known method to
> shapen flanks, and I have always understood that as the reason for using
> three in the xtal clock generator setup.

They used to make a 74U04, U for Unbuffered, basically a simple analog
amplifier.  The target market was crystal oscillators.

Why would some people want low gain while others are going for high gain?

Is there a bogus urban legend involved, or were there 2 different market
segments?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.