[time-nuts] Re: thermodynamics of time keeping

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 7 21:33:33 UTC 2021

Hi

The reason for “unbuffered” is that there’s one less “block” in the device. That means
less delay. Delay in an oscillator stage is phase shift and it “tunes” the oscillator. If
it gets to far, the oscillator may have startup issues. Even if it’s in a tolerable range,
twice the delay is twice the tuning due to gate issues ( voltage. temperature, whatever ….)

The classic gate (of any sort) is a low impedance out / high(er) impedance in design.
By picking this or that combination of capacitors a very low gate “stage gain” might
work. ( you get voltage gain when you do an impedance transform).

With a Schmidt (however you spell it) trigger not having a stable active region, it is a
bit unclear just how you would bias it to get the oscillator to start…..

Bob