[time-nuts] Re: in-ground clock room

Bill Beam wbeam at gci.net
Thu Sep 9 02:36:11 UTC 2021

On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:54:03 -0700, Tom Van Baak wrote:

>I am considering a below ground "clock room" away from the house. This
>will be for some low-drift quartz oscillators and also a couple of
>precision pendulum clocks. The goal is long-term, unattended, and very
>undisturbed operation.

>For scale, assume the room is 1 meter +� 1 meter +� 2 meters deep. So
>that's vastly smaller than digging a basement, but much larger than
>drilling a 8 inch round pipe. Digging down gives some natural isolation
>and temperature regulation. A couple tons of concrete gives high
>stability vertical walls for the pendulum clocks.

>If any of you have personal or professional experience with the design
>or construction of this sort of thing, especially experience with
>precast (utility) vaults or poured concrete, please let me know.

>In case this gets too off-topic for time-nuts, off-list email to me is
>fine (tvb at leapsecond.com).

>Thanks,
>/tvb

Tom,

How long do you expect your proposed voult to go undisturbed?
I have several pendulum clocks.  They are disturbed every couple of months
by earth quakes.  By disturbed, I mean pendulum banging against the case walls....
Any ground motion that can be felt will upset the clocks.  Often the clocks will
signal an earth quake that is not felt.

Good luck.

Bill Beam
NL7F