[time-nuts] Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 209, Issue 14

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Thu Sep 16 12:24:52 UTC 2021

Back in the late 80's we were building a synthesizer with extremely strict
phase noise characteristics at an output of 44 GHz. At the output of our
ultra low noise Rubidium, we also added a 100 Hz BW crystal filter. At the
time, even though Dave Allen was involved, our spec was such as the noise
power was not to exceed a certain power lever integrated over specified BW,
without any exclusion band around the carrier. Lincoln Lab built the
feasibility model and I manually integrated their noise power and they
exceeded the limit by 10 dB. So, I argued that they needed to give us an 8
KHz exclusion window in the spec, and won. Regards - Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell NJ 07731
848-245-9115