[time-nuts] Re: ammonia, cesium, masers, etc.

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:20:47 UTC 2021

Jim
I did download and read that article. Its pretty interesting as it
explained some things on the Amonium reference that I never understood as
to why Cesium was preferable to Amonia. With todays technology it does seem
that a Amonia reference would be far more reasonable to build. Though
honestly bending 23 GHz waveguide might be tricky. Or simply leave it
straight after all it Amatuer grade.
There was a note that there was the belief that even that reference could
be significantly improved.
Then a good explaination on why cesium and the use of parts from radar
systems of the time. Makes sense.
Lastly they discussed an Amonia maser. Never knew. Wonder if it actually
vented amonia slowly. Sort of sounds that way.
Thanks for sharing
Regards
Paul