[time-nuts] Re: ammonia, cesium, masers, etc.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Sep 20 14:17:08 UTC 2021

--------
paul swed writes:

> Though honestly bending 23 GHz waveguide might be tricky. Or simply leave it
> straight after all it Amatuer grade.

I seem to recall that there was about 10-ish meter coiled up in the
one on the famous old picture.  That might be a bit unwieldy.  On the
other hand, that was probably not waveguide as much as just plain
copper-tubing ?

> Lastly they discussed an Amonia maser. Never knew. Wonder if it actually
> vented amonia slowly. Sort of sounds that way.

I would suspect the main problem with an amonia maser is that the
Amonia disassociates and the hydrogen leaks out though the metal ?