[time-nuts] Some assistance with Ball-Efratom FRK-L Rb Osc. Needed

Walter Shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Tue Sep 21 23:50:47 UTC 2021

I just stripped one of these units out of an Argo Systems AS-210 to use
as a stand alone reference.
The system ran before I did this, so I was sure all the hardware was
working.
It is marked FRK-L (manual says this the low temp operating version),
and says
Efratom p/n 2A5A2A.  I did not see any data in the factory manual for
what this might mean,
but it has the coax 10MHz, and pins for #2-9 connections.

My issue is that this has wires attached to pins 8 and 9, the *optional
remote frequency adjustment.
The label says "Unit Wired For Operation With External Frequency Control".
*This is discussed *nowhere* in the 79 page manual, and I have no idea
what to do with these connections.
the option is listed as a possible one, but nothing further is said, and
no connections to it show up anywhere.

Any information is very welcome, as I would like to make a back up Rb
standard for my bench and this
looks like a great candidate if I can get it running.

Also, from a waste heat viewpoint, the supply range is 22-32VDC, the
schematics discuss an internal +17VDC bus,
so am i correct in thinking that a well regulated +22-24VDC supply is
better than a +28VDC one in terms of waste heat (and shortened life)?

many thanks,
walter

Walter Shawlee 2
Sphere Research Corp. 3394 Sunnyside Rd.
West Kelowna, BC, V1Z 2V4 CANADA
Phone: +1 (250-769-1834 -:- http://www.sphere.bc.ca
+We're all in one boat, no matter how it looks to you. (WS2)
+All you need is love. (John Lennon)
+But, that doesn't mean other things don't come in handy. (WS2)
+Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us.
We are not the only experiment. (R. Buckminster Fuller)