[time-nuts] Re: 32.768Khz Crystal Trimming

John Lofgren John.Lofgren at lairdconnect.com
Fri Apr 1 14:01:19 UTC 2022

Hi All,

Bob is right.  This is very much a cut-and-try thing for a couple of reasons.
1. Crystals with the same printed specs from different manufacturers respond differently.
2. Stray capacitance in the specific installation is part of the total load capacitance.  Every installation is different.

I've just run through this on a board for a customer.  It is setup with a Microchip RTC that likes crystals with a load capacitance somewhere in the 6 to 9 pF range.  Using 3 crystals with the same nominal specifications (7 pF, +/- 20 ppm tolerance) from the different manufacturers I would see frequency errors anywhere from -1.6 to -24.5 ppm just by changing the crystal.  On this particular board with this particular chip the 7 pF crystal with the lowest frequency error liked to have 12 pF load capacitors.  Assuming that the crystal actually works best at 7 pF and that the capacitors in the board really are 12 pF that would make the stray capacitance from the board and in the input/output pins of the chip ~1 pF.

The fact that you're seeing an error an order of magnitude off from where it should be means something is really mistuned.  I've seen this happen when the load capacitance is 2x or 3x off from where it should be.  The attached table is something I put together as a quick reference tool for myself to have at the bench when trimming capacitors.

If you're interested in digging deeper into the theory there's a pretty comprehensive application note from Microchip that might be of interest.
<https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/Appnotes/AN2648-Selecting_Testing-32KHz-Crystal-Osc-for-AVR-MCUs-00002648B.pdf>
Microchip isn't the only one who publishes this type of application note.  ST also has some pretty good oscillator stuff available.

One other thing to note about tuning fork crystals is their temperature behavior.  It's terrible (see section 1.7 in the Microchip ap. note).  The curve is parabolic with the vertex nominally at 25C.  Once you start getting more than a few degrees away from that the slope really starts picking-up.  You don't need to get dramatically warmer or colder to start picking-up some noticeable time errors in a real-time clock.  These days a lot of the RTC chips have internal trim registers to allow the target system to adjust the crystal clock cycles per second so the RTC may be disciplined against an external time source, if available.

I'm not sure what your application looks like or what test equipment you may have available.  Depending on the specific circumstance trimming capacitors may be a matter of observing a buffered (possibly pre-scaled) version of the 32.768 kHz oscillator or measuring the RTC against a known time source.

-John