[time-nuts] Re: 32.768Khz Crystal Trimming

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Apr 1 16:34:01 UTC 2022

No one mentioned tempco, so I will.  Ideally you should do your
calibration at a temperature corresponding to the long term
average in your workshop.  If the crystal is in a piece of
equipment with a temperate rise, it should be accounted for,
and then going forward you have to leave the equipment powered
up 24/7.  The crystal is probably a tuning fork, meaning it
won't be AT cut.  It may have a substantial tempco around
room temp.  In which case that old time-nuts insult may apply:

"congratulations, nice thermometer."

Rick N6RK

BTW, I go back 48 years with crystals.