[time-nuts] Re: 32.768Khz Crystal Trimming

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 1 17:25:47 UTC 2022

Hi

The typical 32 KHz crystal has a parabolic tempco. It peaks at kinda
sorta room temperature. This makes it work pretty well on a normal
wrist.

As you get away from ~ 25C, the frequency drops. Since it’s a
parabola, the further away from room you get the faster it drops.
Something in the 1 to 2 ppm / C is not a bad guess for typical “on a
board” sort of temperatures.

It’s pretty hard to predict what temperature the board you just made
will operate at out in the field. Thus there are limits on what you can
expect from a watch crystal.

10 seconds over 100,000 seconds ( so a bit over a day) is hundred
ppm. That’s a lot of shift and yes, it’s worth taking care of that
sort of offset.

At 1 second per 100,000 you are at 10 ppm. That is in the range of
“questionable temperature”. You can get it set that well ( or better)
on your bench. As soon as it leaves your bench …. all that work may
not have been worth the effort.

No, temperature isn’t the only variable. The crystals have a calibration
tolerance at room ( +/- 20 ppm on this crystal). They most certainly do
age ( 3 ppm  / year on this one). They also shift when you solder them
into a board. That shift may or may not relax over the next few days.

If your application *needs* a second a day sort of performance,
something sort of improvement over a basic watch crystal will be
needed. At the very least, the 20 ppm cal tolerance will need to be
adressed.

Bob