[time-nuts] Re: 32.768Khz Crystal Trimming

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Fri Apr 1 18:23:21 UTC 2022

All,

Ahhh, Yes. Checking notes, during the initial build I slapped a pair of
10pF caps down (all I had on hand) just to get the RTCC oscillators
somewhat working. I can see now that is WAY under needed capacitance.

Measurements are taken right in the micro, so no external leads to
influence the board. A serial debug line spits out the difference in
elapsed time for the RTCC and time derived from the 10Mhz EXT REF
(GPSDO). (No extra wires/leads etc.)

Honestly this RTCC doesn't need to be stellar. It's more of a holdover
oscillator when the EXT CLK is lost. But, this is time-nuts and all, so
might as well squeeze everything out of it! :)

Bernd,

Your post, and rule of thumb are what I was looking for. I will
certainly archive this in my notes. This should be good enough to save
destroying the board by soldering/de-soldering many 0603 SMT caps.

Thanks to all who replied. This should be enough to keep me busy over
the weekend!

Dan