[time-nuts] Re: 32.768Khz Crystal Trimming

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Mon Apr 4 18:03:40 UTC 2022

After playing with cap values the crystal is running about 6.5ppm fast.
Plenty good for what it is. Of course this was with a sample size of 1.

Being a time-nut, I did try a few different cap values just to see if it
could be made any better. The Next closest cap combo gives 8.3ppm slow.

Putting a little heat on the crystal showed it tended to drop in
frequency, so 6.5ppm fast is probably better than 8.3ppm slow.

Looking at the slope/intercept of the values tried, the needed value
isn't easily achievable. Again, n=1, so sample to sample variation is
untested.

It looks like the 'ideal' cap value might be achievable, but that would
require a pretty big mismatch between C1/C2. More than 2:1, probably
closer to 3:1. I'm guessing that would be a 'no-no'?

Anyway, Thanks to all who replied!

Dan