[time-nuts] Re: Low Phase Noise70 10 MHz bench signal source sought

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Apr 2 16:42:09 UTC 2022

Yes, I believe hp did what you propose in their Santa Clara cesium test
lab. It was an ensemble of selected 10811 oscillators tightly phase
locked to improve short-term stability and phase noise. Rick might know
the details.

During a tour I saw the instrument rack but was unable to peek inside.
Performance details were not given and I didn't get to count the
oscillators but I think it was on the order of half a dozen. I figured
that using 2 or 3 probably isn't worth all the effort. And using ten or
more is diminishing returns or maybe beyond requirements.

You can imagine if you were allowed to select the best of the best
10811's as they came off the manufacturing test line and then combined a
bunch of them as they did, the results would be quite impressive.

If you develop a board for this I think it would be of interest to a
number time-nuts. It merely takes time to measure each oscillator in the
pile and pick the best ones. But combining them takes the tricky circuit
design that you are planning. Please keep us informed of your progress.

The concept of replicated simple electronics reminds me of:

http://phk.freebsd.dk/raga/

/tvb