[time-nuts] Re: Low Phase Noise 10 MHz bench signal source sought

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Thu Apr 7 22:46:07 UTC 2022

On 4/7/22 3:09 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

> This BTULN OCXO looks very good.  While they do mention that it
> contains its own regulator, no numbers are given, so it's hard to
> know what to make of that claim.
>

>> I wouldn't assume battery power - but this is where a phone call helps -
>> they'll be happy to tell you.
> I must say that I've run into the battery-power (or *really* good lab
> power supply) approach, neither which is applicable in non-lab
> applications.  I suppose if Wenzel does the packaging, they will
> ensure that full OCXO performance is achieved when powered from the
> usual lab AC power.  The box would also shield the power wiring and
> frequency-control input (if any) and associated wiring from passing
> EMI.
>
> Joe Gwinn

That's a "call Wenzel and ask"  - They can answer your questions, and
all we can do is speculate.  Even if I had a Wenzel box here in front of
me with test data, that doesn't mean YOUR Wenzel box would be the
same.   And when it comes to "in the catalog, but really we have a
subset of stuff on the shelf" that's where calling is best.  Who knows
what work they've been doing.  They might have had a job to build half a
dozen sources, and they built 8, so that they'd have 6 guaranteed to
meet the requirements, and now they happen to have a spare, or a spare
that didn't quite hit -180, but only got -179.  And you'd be happy with
that.

Wenzel is not some giant WalMart of oscillators, with forklifts going
hither and yon full of palletized ULNs - there are probably 50-60 people
there total, so odds are, you'll be talking to someone who actually has
touched (with gloves) your oscillator.