[time-nuts] Re: Low Phase Noise 10 MHz bench signal source sought

Mike Monett mike at binsamp.e4ward.com
Fri Apr 8 12:06:30 UTC 2022

Dear Fans,

While I was researching cross-correlation, I came across an interesting
paper that described different methods of reducing OCXO phase noise. They
involved putting a 10 MHz crystal between the buffer amplifier and the
output load. One method promised "sub-thermal" phase noise. The idea is the
crystal impedance rose sharply off resonance, so the energy at those
frequencies was heavily attenuated.

I don't know how much additional noise the crystal ESR would introduce, but
it is an intriguing idea and might be worth pursuing.

MRM