[time-nuts] Re: Low Phase Noise 10 MHz bench signal source sought

ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Fri Apr 8 20:27:00 UTC 2022

Am 2022-04-08 14:06, schrieb Mike Monett:
> Dear Fans,
>
> While I was researching cross-correlation, I came across an interesting
> paper that described different methods of reducing OCXO phase noise.
> They
> involved putting a 10 MHz crystal between the buffer amplifier and the
> output load. One method promised "sub-thermal" phase noise. The idea is
> the
> crystal impedance rose sharply off resonance, so the energy at those
> frequencies was heavily attenuated.

> I don't know how much additional noise the crystal ESR would introduce,
> but
> it is an intriguing idea and might be worth pursuing.

Using a crystal that is resonant on the carrier frequency is not a very
good idea.
At 13 dBm+ it will not enjoy a long life.

It's a different thing to notch away the sidebands, esp. at frequencies
where
the noise really hurts, or when you want at least a peephole to see who
is the
culprit when there are several possibilities.

The sideband power is always miniscule, even when you have 23 dBm. And
since
only 10% or even less of your crystals are really top notch (pun
intended)
you soon have a drawer full of "free" crystals. Somewhere I have a home-
etched board that supports 12 crystals, i.e. 6 notches, still unused.

The notch crystals can also be cheap; they do not interact with the
carrier
frequency, all they need to have is low serial resistance at some  +-
offset.

I've tried this with 2 crystals at 10 MHz +- 1.5 KHz on my SMIQ-04
signal
generator. That's an easy victim, more a modulation wonder than
excellent phase noise.

With only 1 crystal per offset frequency you cannot get better than ~3
dB.
Far off, LC filters may do.

Cheers, Gerhard