[time-nuts] Re: Evaluating counter performance, seeking feedback.

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Apr 8 19:11:24 UTC 2022

Thanks for posting both TIM files along with the plots. Here are replies
to 3 of your questions:

 > Is this setup meaningful in assessing performance differences?
 > If not, how to improve?

It's probably better to compare two different counters using the same
setup. So give them both the same Rb as ext REF and give them both the
same DUT and then collect data simultaneously (apples and apples). But
it sounds like you can't use or don't have an ext REF input for your DIY
counter? In that case, right, you have to resort to the unusual
arrangement that you're using (apples and oranges). This is one reason
why almost every frequency counter has an external REF input.

 > How can one compress or expand a TIM file to correct for the
difference in gate time?
 > A better approach would be to ensure gate times where identical.

Right, I noticed the two TIM files don't line up. That's a problem. They
are off by several seconds at the beginning of the run and spot on at
the end of the run. I suspect some manual editing? Note this doesn't
affect the ADEV plots, but it messes up the phase and frequency plots.
It's easy to fix.

It looks like you didn't input the correct sample rate when you loaded
the data into TimeLab. There's a box in the acquisition menu to set the
sample rate. Normally close enough is good enough, but when you're
working with simultaneous data you need to be much more precise. This
isn't a problem with timestamp data because the actual sample rate is
implicit in the timestamp. And it's not a problem for zero-dead-time
frequency measurements either because one of the clocks does the pacing.
But for traditional gated measurements, yes, sample rate may be inexact,
and may also vary depending on the measurement data or auto trigger
settings.

A while ago I collected simultaneous data on a several oscillators for
many days. When my PC reads serial data from a counter I always prefix
lines with a MJD timestamp [1]. Days or years later it tells me when I
did the experiment. It can also be used to detect gaps in the data. It
also makes it easy to make x-y scatter plots using MJD as an axis. It
allows multiple runs to be correlated (e.g., environmental data on one
PC, counter data on another PC, GPS data from a third PC, etc.). But
most importantly it allows me to compute the actual sample rate, the
tau, for any data that I ever collect. For example 5 "identical
counters" set for 10 s gate time had actual sample rates of:

10.3475 s
10.3496 s
10.3496 s
10.3494 s
10.3475 s

This doesn't matter for short runs, doesn't matter to ADEV, doesn't
matter for phase or frequency plots of one counter, but matters a lot
when you have multiple counters over an extended period of time.

 > How can one use the two TIM files to calculate the RMS of the
differences in frequency?
 > My hope is to use this RMS calculation as a single number quality
indicator.

Perhaps explain more what you're trying to do. Remember that frequency
depends very much on the averaging time so you can't just use a single
number. ADEV works because it's always ADEV(tau). There is a special
case when ADEV measurements are strictly linear, usually with a slope of
-1 or -1/2. Then it is customary to use a single number. For example
1e-9/tau for 1 ns of WPM, or 1e-6/√tau for 1 ppm of WFM.

/tvb

[1] see comcat1 and comcat2 in my www.leapsecond.com/tools/ directory.