[time-nuts] Re: Evaluating counter performance, seeking feedback.

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Fri Apr 8 20:21:05 UTC 2022

Tom
Thanks for the excellent feedback.
About what I try to do: I'm trying to find a way to evaluate the
performance of a GPSDO/Counter/Timer
For the GPSDO an ADEV plot should be ok but for the counter/timer I'm
struggling. For the the two input time stamping counter part I understand
that one test is to have two 10MHz signals at 0.001 Hz aparts and verify
there are no odd jumps in the phase relation. This measurement has been
done but as the prototype is still partly a dead-bug construction the phase
errors are up to 1 ns and I hope a PCB version will improve this phase
measurement.
For the frequency counter part I tried to use an ADEV plot but I understand
now that does not make sense so I am trying to find a way to measure and
specify the performance of the frequency measurement function. In spec
sheets one reads "x digits per second". Or per frequency range the
accuracy. But how to measure the accuracy in a meaningful way? So I thought
why not use a much better counter, measure exactly the same inputs and
calculate the error. I understand now that I should use both counters in
exactly the same way. That can be done as the U6200A can also measure the
ratio between two input signals. Any pointers on how to measure and specify
performance of a frequency counter or timer apart from mentioning the raw
time resolution?
I have found a way to test the trigger level setting by using a sawtooth
signal to both inputs. One triggering on the negative edge and the other on
a positive level crossing of the trigger level and measuring the
relationship between trigger level and time between two inputs.
Any pointers or input is most welcome as there is still so much to learn
Erik