[time-nuts] Re: Evaluating counter performance, seeking feedback.

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Sat Apr 9 12:07:47 UTC 2022

Tom, others.
An important reason for me to write these posts is to try to try to
understand what I am doing. writing helps me to discover flaws in my
thinking. If its too much feel free to block me.
To test systematic errors when measuring the ratio between two
frequencies a dual channel signal generator was used. One channel set at
static 10MHz, the other channel set to sweep +/- 500 Hz around 10MHz.
Both channels where send to the two inputs of the U6200A and the
tinyCount (own build counter). Both counters measured the ratio between
the two frequencies with a 1 second gate time. Both counters used their
internal reference for measuring the ratio.
Timelab was used to record the frequency difference [1][2] and after
measuring one full sweep and removing the global linear trend a very
weird pattern appeared [3]. Both the U6200A and the tinyCount had a
cyclic deviation from the global linear trend depending on the
difference in frequency. For a span of 1kHz the U6200A showed 1.5 cycle
up to 1.3e-9 error and the tinyCount  25 cycles of up to 2.5e-9 error.
When measuring two static 10 MHz signals with only a small frequency
difference the U6200A and the tinyCount agreed within their measurement
noise.
Further testing showed the amount of cycles in the full sweep was
independent of the sweep span. Reducing the span with a factor 10 also
reduced the maximum deviation with a factor of 10. Reducing the sweep
time did change the amount of cycles in but not with a linear relation
to the change in sweep time.
As the tinyCounter uses regression the amount of points used for the
regression was changed from 20000 to 50000 but this did not create any
visible difference in the frequency deviation cyclic pattern.
Some further work is required to understand the cause of these cyclic
deviations.
Erik.

[1] http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/1kHz%20sweep%20U6200A.tim
[2] http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/1kHz%20sweep%20tinyGTC.tim