[time-nuts] Question about GPS 1PPS ADEV

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Sat Apr 16 13:52:03 UTC 2022

Dear list members,

in 2020 John Ackermann published an evaluative survey of current day GPS and
GNSS receivers (URL below). I have a question about figure 26, which shows,
among others, the ADEV of a NEO-M8T against a Cesium reference, with
quantization correction applied. The curve shows a significant "bulge" above
1e-10 between about 10s and 100s tau.

I'm using a LEA-M8T in my DIY GPSDO, which I think is the same chipset in a
slightly different package. I have attached an image worth about 3000 seconds
of data, raw 1PPS phase difference against the LO used in the GPSDO. The GPSDO
is locked, not in hold-over mode.

The bulge between 10s and 100s is not really visible here. There is a slight
bend, but not as pronounced. My explanation is that this is due to the LO
being pulled by the GNSS receiver so that it is no longer fully visible. I
reason that, were the LO more stable, more loosely coupled to the GNSS, I
should see the bulge from figure 26. Would you agree?

Best regards,
Matthias

https://hamsci.org/sites/default/files/publications/2020_TAPR_DCC/
N8UR_GPS_Evaluation_August2020.pdf