[time-nuts] Re: GPS antenna locations

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Apr 17 13:04:00 UTC 2022

Hi

Not knowing everything about the local environment there’s
not much way to guess exactly what this or that location
will do. The biggest thing I see on your plot is something
due south of the current antenna location.

In a “typical” setup, anything within 20 degrees of the horizon
gets tossed out for timing. The paths are long and with normal
clutter multi path is likely at low angles.

The filters in the typical “telecom” antennas are set up to block
cell phone transmitters. The GPS and cell antennas are co-located
on the same tower so they can get hit pretty hard. That said, the
cell site isn’t running an ERP in the many hundreds of watts range.

The longer your cable, the more likely you are to need a booster
amp. The telecom antennas typically don’t have a lot of gain. Yes,
fancy cable can help with this. RG-58 is a bad idea :) ….

If you have a better sky view at 60 to 80’ on the tower, then a side
mount in that range would be my vote. Lightning would be my
biggest concern as you go higher. Assuming all the heights are
to the same reference, moving the antenna up 40 to 60’ should
do the trick.

Bob