[time-nuts] Re: GPS antenna locations

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sun Apr 17 16:58:57 UTC 2022

Thanks Bob.

I have no idea what makes that gap to the south. There is nothing to
block that direction above 15 degrees.

I am not concerned about cable losses. I have LMR-400 on this roof
mounted antenna because it is only a 50 foot run, but the smallest cable
I have to either tower is 1/2". The antenna spec sheet says 30 dB gain.

The data sheet on this antenna shows it being down >60 dB at +/- 50 MHz.
With a noise figure spec of 2.2 dB I suspect that filter is before the
amplifier, but I wish it actually said that. Add several tens of dB for
separation of antennas and I think it would be OK.

My only concern is with overload of the onboard amplifier in the
antenna. It is filtered again by a GPS Networking splitter (-60 dB at
+/- 60 MHz) before going to the Thunderbolt.

Side mounted at 80 feet on the VHF tower (60 feet higher than where the
one on the roof is), it would have a much better sky view, neglecting
any blockage to the north from the tower itself and at high elevation
angles from yagis on top of the tower).

I am leaning toward getting another of these antennas and side mounting
it on the tower, then doing a comparison of the signal strength vs az/el
plot against this roof mounted one. It is an extra expense I will have
to find a way to budget for, but certainly has educational value if
nothing else.

Paul