[time-nuts] dial-up time source for NTP

Avro125 avro125 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 19:52:45 UTC 2022

Hello;

I’m wondering if someone would be willing to assist me in getting NTP to
reference time from NIST (Colorado) or NRC (Ottawa) via a dial-up modem.
Either as a primary source, or as a failover in case the GNSS signal is
lost.

I have several commercial GPS-referenced clocks operating as primary NTP
servers, however also employ a few Raspberry Pis as experimental boxes so
that I can trial different GNSS antennas, constellation combinations, etc.
I would like to get one of the Pis to use a hardware USB modem to dial out
every so often to obtain the time via the telephone network.

Right now the Pi in question has a GNSS RTC board on it and is working well
in that capacity.  I’d like to add the modem in, and this is where I’ve run
into a wall.

Is there anyone who’s done this and would be able to help me get this Pi up
and running?  The modem is connected and the Pi can see it, but NTP doesn’t
seem to be dialing out.  I think I’m missing a config file or two.

You can contact me off-list if this is too off-topic for the group.

Thanks,

Avro

avro125 at gmail.com