[time-nuts] Re: Phase noise of HP8663A 640 MHz reference?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Aug 12 20:30:21 UTC 2022

The 8663 has a 10811 driving an X8 driving an 80 MHz
xtal filter.  The cleaned up 80 MHz drives another
X8 to make 640 MHz, which is further cleaned up with
a 640 MHz SAW filter.

At least with the 8662, you have to purchase an option
to even have a 640 MHz output at all.

The SAW filter was made at HP in Santa Rosa originally,
but then they closed the fab for it.  I designed the
SAW filter into the 5071A in the form of a phase locked
oscillator.  A few 100 instruments were made, but then
I had to design it out.

Rick N6RK