[time-nuts] Re: Phase noise of HP8663A 640 MHz reference? {External}

Jim Muehlberg jmuehlbe at nrao.edu
Sat Aug 13 01:50:47 UTC 2022

Hello Ed, and others.

I've been lurking here for a while.  Quite the knowledge base
represented here!

I've got access to an 8663A with "specified" phase noise that come from
an HP 3048 system.  I've got access to an E5505A PNTS as well as an
Aeroflex PN90000.  I could measure it for you.  The Aerofelx only goes
to 1MHz offsets.  The E5505 will go to 40MHz.

I've got quite a few 8663As and a few 8662s.  I could use the 640MHz
from the "specified" unit as the reference and then test the others.
Still learning the subtleties of the PN9000, but I bet the 640 from it's
synthesizer is not as good as the HP.

I'll just do it and post it here.  I've been measuring allot of sources
around the lab while getting ready to go into the design of LOs for the
Next Generation very large array project.  NRAO has allot of boat
anchors to maintain.  Budget is tight right now on this new project so
I've got to keep these things going.

On 8/12/2022 4:30 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist via time-nuts wrote:
> The 8663 has a 10811 driving an X8 driving an 80 MHz
> xtal filter.  The cleaned up 80 MHz drives another
> X8 to make 640 MHz, which is further cleaned up with
> a 640 MHz SAW filter.
>
> At least with the 8662, you have to purchase an option
> to even have a 640 MHz output at all.
>
> The SAW filter was made at HP in Santa Rosa originally,
> but then they closed the fab for it.  I designed the
> SAW filter into the 5071A in the form of a phase locked
> oscillator.  A few 100 instruments were made, but then
> I had to design it out.
>
> Rick N6RK
>
> On 8/12/2022 11:30 AM, Alex Pummer via time-nuts wrote:
>> if it is not to urgent I could measure it for you, I have the HP8663A
>> and one 8562E with the "special function" box
>>
>> On 8/12/2022 10:37 AM, ed breya via time-nuts wrote:
>>> Just wondering if anyone happens to know typical or an actual
>>> measured phase noise instance of the 640 MHz reference in the
>>> HP8663A. It does not seem to be specified (unless I missed it
>>> somehow), but there's an "option 03" that specifies it. I don't
>>> think the option provides any improvement, just results of an actual
>>> measurement on the particular unit.
>>>
>>> Ed

Jim Muehlberg
Senior Engineer