[time-nuts] Re: RCB-F9T Adapter PCB with USB and 50 Ohm Timepulse SMA Connectors

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Aug 24 07:19:35 UTC 2022

Hi Bob,

On 24.08.22 04:20, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> The BUF 602 needs dual 5V supplies to hit 3.3V logic levels. Running multiple supplies is a
> bit of a PIA. Since this*is*  a logic signal, cheap / fast / stable logic gates would seem to be
> the obvious way to get the job done. 3.3V supply and away you go … The usual suspects
> are all at least as fast and at least as low jitter as the BUF 602.
>
> Bob

I initially thought the same about the dual supplies. Fortunately, the
required average currents are fairly low (<100 mA to drive 5 loads at
3.3V and 50 Ohm each), so an inverting charge pump will do the job. The
SOT-23 LM2776 requires 3 capacitors in external circuitry, the WSON
LM27761 needs 4 caps and 2 resistors. I'm using the LM27761 on my
RCB-F9T adapter board. See my initial post for the layout.

Can you point me to any measurements or data sheets that characterize
the rise time, temperature dependency, and/or jitter/phase noise
performance of suitable logic gates? The fastest device families I could
find are 74LVC, 74AVC, and 74AUC. The 74HC often relied upon are
actually very slow [1]. I've discussed using 74-type components on the
EEVblog forum [2]. The 74s' typically large temperature coefficient
alone makes me reluctant to use them. The lack of jitter specs is an
exclusion criterion for me.

What are the "usual suspects" you refer to? I couldn't find any 74ish
device with official specs that can compete with the BUF602. As a
reasonably linear analog buffer, it shouldn't add any jitter on top of
its input voltage noise and has >45 dB PSRR up to 1 MHz. Its 8 V/ns slew
rate enables <0.5 ns rise times and it is straightforward to achieve 50
Ohm source termination. Improper source termination is also an exclusion
criterion for me.

In comparison, logic gates don't spec rise times <1 ns, have presumably
– correct me if I'm wrong – negligible PSRR, don't specify output
impedance, and require paralleling multiple outputs to drive 50 Ohm loads.

While the use of 74s may work for my application (whether sub-optimal or
not would be subject to tests), I'd rather err on the side of caution by
using parts that are explicitly specified for my use case.

Best regards,
Carsten

P.S.: If you're wondering why I need such high slew rates, my
application is phase synchronization of RF synthesizers like TI's
LMX2594. These require low phase noise, high slew rate reference and
sync signals. Again, I prefer to err on the side of caution by providing
the highest slew rate I can realize with reasonable effort.

[1] https://www.ti.com/lit/sg/sdyu001ab/sdyu001ab.pdf#page=2
[2]
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/gpsdognssdo-stm32g4-u-blox-zed-f9t-tdc7200/msg4357849/#msg4357849