[time-nuts] Re: RCB-F9T Adapter PCB with USB and 50 Ohm Timepulse SMA Connectors

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Fri Aug 26 09:08:29 UTC 2022

Hi Bob,

On 24.08.22 21:20, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>> [...] However, my use case is not limited to the RCB-F9T adapter. I'm looking for a generic solution that will also perform well with low noise OCXOs.
> Given the dirt cheap nature of PCB’s these days, the idea making one application
> more expensive / complex is generally not a great approach. Let JLPCB do up
> enough of this or that and do a second board for a different application. Layout
> wise, modern tools get things done very quickly.

You're right in terms of component and (automated) production cost, but
I'm also looking at it from an engineering cost perspective. Qualifying
multiple different solutions for a similar* problem is costly.
Hand-soldering the SMA connectors is already more expensive than the
price difference between logic buffers and buffer opamps. Add the
connectors on top and I'd doubt total savings on components would ever
amortize the added engineering costs for producing a few dozen devices.

*) By similar problem I mean low-noise buffering of arbitrary wideband
signals with 50 Ohm source impedance into both high impedance and 50 Ohm
loads. By arbitrary wideband signal I refer to any kind of typical
timing signal, whether it's a pulse (not necessarily only 1PPS) or
periodic rectangle at frequencies up to a few hundred MHz.

>> I'm taking a decent 100 MHz OCXO with the following phase noise as an example: -100 dBc/Hz @ 10 Hz, -130 dBc/Hz @ 100 Hz, -160 dBc/Hz @ 1 kHz, -170 dBc/Hz @ 10 kHz, 175 dBc/Hz @ >100 kHz.
>> That integrates to 18 fs from 12 kHz to 20 MHz (range is used for all subsequent jitter values). The LMK1C110x weighs in at 8 fs typ. (20 fs max.) for f = 156.25 MHz [2] and the LTC6957-3 has 90 fs typ. for f = 100 MHz [3].
>>
>> The BUF602's input voltage noise of 4.8 nV/√Hz equals -153 dBm/Hz into 50 Ohm. Better, non hand solderable opamps exists, e.g., BUF802 with 2.3 nV/√Hz (-160 dBm/Hz) and AD8000 with 1.6 nV/√Hz (-163 dBm/Hz). Depending on the OCXO's output level, the opamps' additive noise is barely measurable over the OCXO's phase noise. Assuming +7 dBm OCXO output, the AD8000 has a -170 dBc/Hz noise floor. Hence, I'd expect negligible additive jitter.
> But your -175 dbc phase noise is long gone ….

Unfortunately, yes. If phase noise is of most concern, then RF gain
blocks are obviously a better choice than buffer opamps. The HMC589 has
4 dB noise figure down to DC (allegedly) and even comes with phase noise
specs [1]. However, I doubt these gain blocks are a suitable choice if
3.3V CMOS logic levels are required.

Regardless, the LTC6957-3 I plan on using to convert a 100 MHz sine to
3.3V CMOS is considerably worse than the suggested buffer opamps in
terms of phase noise. Gotta spin off another thread on that ...

> A discrete buffer typically is the right answer in most cases for low phase noise.

Are you referring to the same logic buffers that have 1~4 ps jitter? How
are these better than dedicated clock ICs with < 90 fs jitter specs and
a noise floor above my suggested opamps?

As always, I'd be grateful for references to exemplary components,
datasheets, designs, and measurement results.

Best regards,
Carsten

[1]
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/hmc589ast89e.pdf