[time-nuts] Re: RCB-F9T Adapter PCB with USB and 50 Ohm Timepulse SMA Connectors

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Sat Aug 27 08:03:06 UTC 2022

Hi Bob,

On 26.08.22 17:53, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On Aug 26, 2022, at 1:08 AM, Carsten Andrich
>> <carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob,

>>> Given the dirt cheap nature of PCB’s these days, the idea making one application
>>> more expensive / complex is generally not a great approach. Let JLPCB do up
>>> enough of this or that and do a second board for a different application. Layout
>>> wise, modern tools get things done very quickly.
>>
>> You're right in terms of component and (automated) production cost,
>> but I'm also looking at it from an engineering cost perspective.
>> Qualifying multiple different solutions for a similar* problem is
>> costly. Hand-soldering the SMA connectors is already more expensive
>> than the price difference between logic buffers and buffer opamps.
>> Add the connectors on top and I'd doubt total savings on components
>> would ever amortize the added engineering costs for producing a few
>> dozen devices.
>>
>> *) By similar problem I mean low-noise buffering of arbitrary
>> wideband signals with 50 Ohm source impedance into both high
>> impedance and 50 Ohm loads. By arbitrary wideband signal I refer to
>> any kind of typical timing signal, whether it's a pulse (not
>> necessarily only 1PPS) or periodic rectangle at frequencies up to a
>> few hundred MHz.
>>

> If this is a commercial product that is targeted at a market then yes,
> the qualification
> process gets into it. For a hobby use sort of design, it’s a pretty
> quick process and
> “part of the fun”. If this is indeed a commercial design?

It's a personal hobby project to deepen my circuit design experience and
to develop a proof-of-concept GNSSDO. However, I have a clear goal: A
100 MHz low phase noise mobile GNSSDO [1]. Nothing commercially
available satisfies my requirements.

Hence, the way is not the goal. For sth. as circumstantial as a low
noise 50 Ohm line driver, I don't want to spend time on experimenting
with and comparing different options (maybe "qualifying" was the wrong
term). For now, I prefer a straightforward one-fits-all solution with
decent performance (i.e., opamp like BUF602). If further down the road
that turns out to be insufficient, I can still delve into sth. discrete
like you suggested below.

>>> But your -175 dbc phase noise is long gone ….
>>
>> Unfortunately, yes. If phase noise is of most concern, then RF gain
>> blocks are obviously a better choice than buffer opamps. The HMC589
>> has 4 dB noise figure down to DC (allegedly) and even comes with
>> phase noise specs [1]. However, I doubt these gain blocks are a
>> suitable choice if 3.3V CMOS logic levels are required.
>>
>> Regardless, the LTC6957-3 I plan on using to convert a 100 MHz sine
>> to 3.3V CMOS is considerably worse than the suggested buffer opamps
>> in terms of phase noise. Gotta spin off another thread on that ...
>>

>>> A discrete buffer typically is the right answer in most cases for low phase noise.
>>
>> Are you referring to the same logic buffers that have 1~4 ps jitter?
>> How are these better than dedicated clock ICs with < 90 fs jitter
>> specs and a noise floor above my suggested opamps?
>>

> No, an amplifier made up of discrete transistors, resistors,
> capacitors and
> the like.

Sorry, got it now.

>> As always, I'd be grateful for references to exemplary components,
>> datasheets, designs, and measurement results.
>>
> Unfortunately that measurement data and the documentation that ran up
> to it is
> property of my various employers over the last 50 years of designing
> OCXO’s and
> GPSDO’s.

Alright, thanks for sharing your experience.

Best regards,
Carsten

[1]
https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2022-April/105583.html