[time-nuts] Re: James Miller/Brooks Shera 10 MHz GPSDO

David mcquate at sonic.net
Mon Aug 29 06:17:27 UTC 2022

I breadboarded the Shera GPSDO some 7 years ago.  At that time some of
the ICs were no longer available, so I had to make some modifications.
As I recall, it wouldn't stay locked very long, perhaps because I didn't
adjust the resistor network between the DAC and the OCXO.

The AD1861 data sheet says its output voltage range is ~ +-3v. Its pin 8
is "NC", so that doesn't matter.  Are you measuring the output voltage
right at the DAC output (pin 9 , 10), or at the VCXO itself?  The
resistor network between these point changes the voltage range.

It's been quite a while, so I won't claim to be expert on the software
(in PIC assembly language), but I don't see anything there that would
preclude positive DAC outputs.  I don't see a version number in the
source code, so I don't know if we have the same software.

I have these notes on the DIP switches:

DIP switches
("on" means low voltage, ie switch closed)
1-3    mode: 0 = setup, 1 = 30 sec time constant, 2-7 = successively
longer time constants
4    ocxo electronic tuning polarity: "on" if ocxo frequency decreases
with increasing EFC voltage
5    "on" allows changes to DAC (& EFC) voltage

Can you connect the RS-232 output from U10 ( a MAX233 ) pin 5 to a PC to
observe the ASCII output?  If so, I could send you some info on
interpreting the three numbers that are sent.

I also have some more info on using the DIP switches that I could send
you, as well as a pdf of the original July 1998 QST article.

Also, you can put an *analog* voltmeter on PIC pin 2. The voltage range
is 0-2. The value will be about 1 if the measured phase difference is
near the controller's set point.

Dave  WA8YWQ