[time-nuts] Re: What everyday uses are there for accurate clocks?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Thu Dec 1 15:39:54 UTC 2022

On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 03:30:52 -0500, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:
Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 223, Issue 37

> Message: 11
> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 01:49:42 -0800
> From: Hal Murray <halmurray at sonic.net>
> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: What everyday uses are there for accurate
> 	clocks?
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
> Cc: "Dr.  David Kirkby" <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk>, Hal Murray
> 	<halmurray at sonic.net>
>

> Dr. David Kirkby said:
>> I can't see how knowing who posted what first on Facebook, Instagram etc
>> affects the user experience, when differences in time are any less than a
>> second.
>
> It doesn't make any difference to the people which of two
> really-close events happens first.
>
> What does matter is that separate data centers agree.  It's a data
> base issue
> rather than a user interface issue.
>
> Google put atomic clocks in all their data centers.
>
> Spanner: TrueTime and external consistency
>   <https://cloud.google.com/spanner/docs/true-time-external-consistency>
>
> ----------
>
> Many years ago, it wasn't quite uncommon for Unix shops to get into trouble
> because the time on their systems weren't consistent.  I forget the
> details.
> It involved NFS - Network File Systems and time on the NFS server being
> different from the time on the workstation used to edit a file.
>
> This looks like a good summary:
>
> why does NFS require synchronized system clocks?

<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/549550/why-does-nfs-require-synchronized-system-clocks>

On a civilian weather-radar project many decades ago, the programming
team started to experience mysterious lossage of code updates,
causing general chaos, with much random blame-shifting.  It turned
out that NFS was the culprit, for an unexpected reason.

NFS and SCCS were designed back in the days of small programs and
small programming teams.  NFS an/or SCCS used timestamps to infer
update order.  (Don't recall exactly how SCCS and NFS were fit
together back then - it was project-developed.)  When the programming
team was about 100 people, we started to experience mysterious
lossage of updates, causing general chaos.  In those days, UNIX
timestamps had one-second granularity. With ten programmers,
collisions were unlikely enough that the lossage was not noticed.
With a hundred programmers, collisions were common and the lossage
was devastating.

The solution was to provide a common atomic sequence number generator
and use these numbers to sequence-stamp code updates.

For the record, the basic source of time in those UNIX boxes was the
local power line frequency, 60 Hz in the US or 50 Hz elsewhere.  Use
of the local power-line cycle interrupt for time-stamping would have
reduced the lossage rate, but could not completely eliminate
collisions.  GPS was not available then.

Joe