[time-nuts] Re: DOXCO from Z3801

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Dec 9 21:24:36 UTC 2022

I would like to figure out for sure whether the outer oven in the Z3801A
OCXO is a benefit or not. Does anyone know of actual experiments,
studies, correspondence, hypotheses, or other documents, or personal
experience/knowledge specifically pertaining to this unit, indicating
problems with the thermal stability or uselessness of the outer oven? I
have seen all sorts of commentary on this over the years, but is it
conjecture, or fact?

I have done some searching around over the years, and recently, and
found nothing specific about it. I may not know best where or how to
look, but I think I'm doing it OK - it appears sparse so far. I'd
appreciate if anyone can post up any links to such info.

I have studied some more general papers found, like Rick's ones about
designing better OCXOs. I know that the Z3801A's OCXO is far from
perfect, and the inner and outer ovens etc are not optimally arranged,
so there may be possible weaknesses, but I'm looking for actual known or
discovered problems in actual use.

If there is a fatal flaw in the design or application of the outer oven,
then I doubt it's worth trying to improve it much - so many cycles of
taking apart and reassembly would be risky to the guts.

If it actually can't be blamed for anything, then I think it should be
beneficial to the thermal stability of the OCXO inside. I think it
should help especially in holdover mode, against temperature fluctuations.

I would think that someone with a Z3801A and the right analysis gear
could do some experiments to look for thermal instabilities
(oscillations etc due to interaction of the control loops) under at
least some typical conditions (but not exhaustive, unfortunately).

Also, it should be possible to see if it helps or not in normal and
holdover modes, with the outer oven working or disabled, while subject
to certain temperature variations. I have a Z3801A, but none of the
other stuff needed to see what's actually going on.

If someone has done some of the above tests (or similar) in the past, a
report on it is a perfect example of the kind of documents I'd like to see.

Ed