[time-nuts] Re: hydrogen rich environment and oscillators

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon Dec 12 18:21:12 UTC 2022

On 12/12/22 7:09 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> Lux, Jim via time-nuts writes:
>
>> Does anyone have any information on what happens to hermetic TCXOs when
>> they're in a hydrogen rich atmosphere?
> What kind of hydrogen concentration are we talking about ?

Unknown - I'm looking at "if you've got a cubesat mounted on a big
rocket that uses LH2, and they go through various and sundry tanking and
detanking exercises, what might happen"   In the long term sense,
probably not a high concentration, but I could see there being times
(hours?) when there's a very high concentration.  I mean, they have
those brooms to probe for hydrogen flames for a reason.

There are cases where people think that a sensor was "poisoned" by He
(but never confirmed) because it was stored in a He-rich (but no where
near pure He) environment.  ISS has this problem - the atmosphere is
fairly rich in He, because they backfill the supply ships with He, so
when they open the hatch, a big blob of He moves into the station. (why
they don't use N2, I have no idea.. Maybe they are using He sniffers
after bolting the hatches or something)