[time-nuts] Re: hydrogen rich environment and oscillators

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Dec 12 19:14:02 UTC 2022

--------
Lux, Jim writes:

> Unknown - I'm looking at "if you've got a cubesat mounted on a big
> rocket that uses LH2, [...]

Hydrogen can diffuse through any metal[1], because by and large,
metals are just nuclei in hydrogen-soup, but it takes work to do.

If the TCXO is not evacuated, I would not worry at all, because without
a pressure differential the diffusion rates nearly nothing.

If the TCXO is evacuated, and the hydrogen is present for long periods
of time, perhaps because it cannot escape from some badly ventilated
cavity, then you might see detectable diffusion, but I still cannot
imagine it having any relevant effect.

Have you checked NASA literature ?

They must have considered this for Apollo ?

Poul-Henning

[1] Really pure hydrogen is produced by pushing it through a sheet
of Palladium, which is why Fleishmann and Pons were in that business
to begin with.