[time-nuts] Re: hydrogen rich environment and oscillators

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 12 18:56:03 UTC 2022

Hi

Depends a lot on what you call a “hermetic TCXO”.

There are a lot of parts out there that have sealed crystals inside a sealed TCXO package.
The TCXO package might be resistance welded, it could be solder sealed, it might be glued
shut. The crystal likely is resistance welded or cold welded in a separate enclosure inside
the TCXO package. The TCXO package likely has an inert gas in it at around 1 atmosphere.

There are other parts that have an open blank inside a single package. The package probably
is welded shut, but these days … who can be 100% sure of anything :)

On top of this, a sealed crystal might be in a vacuum or it could be in some sort of inert gas ( often
at pretty low pressure). The same is true of OCXO crystals. The single package unit could
be evacuated or backfilled, possibly at a fairly high ( = close to an atmosphere) sort of pressure.

So lots of variables.

Worst case is a vacuum packaged high Q crystal. It gets gas instead of vacuum and the Q
goes down. If it goes down enough, the oscillator quits. Not a really high probability in a TCXO.
There are parts out there though.  If the crystal is inside it’s package *and* that’s inside a second
hermetic package, it’s going to take a long time for your hydrogen to get to the crystal ….

Bob