[time-nuts] Re: hydrogen rich environment and oscillators

Dr. Geophysics dr.geophysics at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:36:17 UTC 2022

There has been a lot of work with respect to hydrogen sulfide interaction
with steel in the hydrocarbon area.

Hydrogen embrittlement might be a useful search term for your
investigation.   A believe that the American Gas Institute (AGI)  did a
couple of webinars about this topic.  You can probably find them online.
They were quite informative.

Be extremely extremely extremely cautious working around hydrogen.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 10:04, Lux, Jim via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

>     OK, here's an interesting one for you all:
>
> Does anyone have any information on what happens to hermetic TCXOs when
> they're in a hydrogen rich atmosphere? There's stories about MRI machine
> He rich environments killing Apple watches - I think, though, that was a
> MEMS oscillator. The data shows a reduction in Q because the resonator's
> not in a vacuum.  And I'm aware of pressure sensors failing because they
> rely on a vacuum for comparison. But I wouldn't necessarily think this
> is the case with a quartz crystal.  Or is it?  H2 is somewhat more
> reactive than He, too.

Dr. Geophysics
http://dr.geophysics.googlepages.com