[time-nuts] Re: Crazy Clock

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:00:53 UTC 2022

An old synchronome slave clock also makes a nice display for something like
this. Some types require a bipolar pulse, others a single current pulse. I
once had a small circuit that charged a capacitor from an RS232 output and
discharged it into the clock when a single character was output. The tick
was then generated by a shellscript on the Unix host. This was when
peripheral outputs were only proper RS232 - there wasn't a convenient power
source like USB without a separate brick. But a USB synchronome driver
would be a very easy project.

A problem is power failures after which the time has changed but the hands
haven't. Ideally, I think you want to track the hands position in a
nonvolatile memory and  aim to minimise the distance between the hands and
the actual time. In the system described above, the rate you can generate
pulses is limited by the capacitor charge time and in any case an hour's
worth of synchronome pulses in the spring would be horribly noisy. A Favag
clock as used by broadcast studios would be a better choice.