[time-nuts] Re: Crazy Clock

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 16 01:58:46 UTC 2022

Hi

Indeed, one could simply set any convenient clock to the “wrong time” and then
feed it a pps signal from any of a large number of possible sources. Been there /
done that. Lots of pps sources and lots of setups. It does indeed work.

Around here, it works (with the right offset) for a month or three. Somewhere along
the way something (there’s a long list …..) happens. If the something is major you
probably notice the issue. If the problem is minor …. it may go uncorrected for a
while. A one second jump is not all that easy to spot. Once I loose the correct offset,
I loose the functionality that I’m after ….

My WWVB wall clocks go out when the battery dies. I replace the battery and
pretty soon, they displays the right time. I can worry about other things and not about
the clocks. I’d like the same sort of functionality in a clock that displays GPS System
Time. If it’s running, it has the right data to a “good enough” level of precision.

So what is GPS System time that’s good enough?

It needs to have the correct number of seconds offset from UTC. If that’s 18 today
and becomes 19 next June, ideally it should handle that without operator intervention.

It needs to hit midnight at the right time of day. No daylight savings / summer time
changes. If the GPS system thinks it’s midnight, that’s what the clock should say.

Both of those things ( in the ideal case ) would set up from a cold boot all by
themselves. No operator intervention. The clock in this room comes up and so
does the one in that room and the one down over there.

So yes, this is crazy. It’s not rational. It’s more than a bit insane.

Sorry about that !!

Bob