[time-nuts] Re: Looking For An Antenna

va2hdd at ebox.net va2hdd at ebox.net
Tue Feb 1 03:27:46 UTC 2022

Hi Chris.

As Tom said before these units are cheap and abundant because they can
not be used as time reference even if you do find an antenna.

To make things worse the antenna itself is active (i.e. amplified) with
a down converter that will bring down the 468 MHz signal frequency to
around 40 MHz (around that !) and that is the frequency that the
receiver expects. You can find in the easily found service manual. So it
will not be an easy task to replicate it even if you would want to try,
and to make thing worse the original ones are really rare and expensive.

TrueTime made a converter called the G2G that would use the GPS signal
and translate it to the signal the 468DC expects to get from the
original antenna.  They are so rare I've been trying to purchase one for
years and never saw one listed.

But all is not lost, with an Arduino, a PIC or a RaspberriPi, a small
GPS receiver and a bit of work it can be modified as GPS based clock.
Or you can use NTP to synchronise your RaspberriPi.

Lots of fun for long winter nights !

Claude