[time-nuts] Re: Timestamping counter techniques : dead zone quantification

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Feb 3 14:21:41 UTC 2022

Hi

Without knowing the ultimate “target use” for this system, it is
very hard to guess what will or will not be a problem.

As an example, lets say we’re “building an engine”:

Ok, engines go into chain saws. Engines go into dump trucks.
Engines also go into airplanes. Some are run in stationary applications
at fixed speeds for their entire life. The target application / use does
matter when you try to work out what will and will not be problematic.

In a commercial setting, pretty much everybody knows what the
company does and what they are targeting as goals. Thus it
often does not get put onto paper, it’s obvious to everybody at
the table.

On a list like this, with the vast range of folks trying to do things,
we have the opposite situation. There *is* no set of defaults that
all are the targets for this or that. There is no way to “assume” or
to guess.

That said, dead bands are layout / cabling / hookup dependent. That
(in most settings) makes them difficult to model or predict.

Bob