[time-nuts] Re: Timestamping counter techniques : dead zone quantification

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Feb 3 16:14:32 UTC 2022

Erik,

You should be aware that cross-talk of transitions is a factor here. It
"pulls" the transition to the time-base clock.

It can be worth evaluating this by delaying the time-base clock in
controlled manor and measure non-linearity of the time-stamps.

A similar test is done between two inputs, as the trigger inputs can
cause cross-talk from one another. This is known to be the issue of
several vendors counters.

As you push the limit for the resolution, these effects tends to
increase in relative size, but for other work they can be fairly ignored.

For some reason I have built a collection of pulse-generators and delay
mechanisms to increase the ability to test this. :)

Cheers,
Magnus