[time-nuts] Upgrade HP 5065A oscillator from 105 to 10811

Matt Huszagh huszaghmatt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 16:20:40 UTC 2022

Hello,

Has anyone attempted or successfully upgraded an older HP 5065A to use a
new 10811 oscillator?

HP created an upgrade kit for this purpose and provided a manual with full
schematics. While I would expect that upgrade kit is difficult
(impossible?) to find I imagine it might be possible to use a 10811-60109
oscillator and recreate the other PCBs.

Another question I had is whether the 60109 is mandatory or another 10811
could be used in its place. The 60109 sometimes shows up in the secondary
marketplace but is harder to find than other variants. If another variant
can be used what characteristics are important to consider and which
variants might be suitable? The specifications for the 60109 are documented
so ideally a replacement would perform as well or better in ADEV and phase
noise. The 10811D/E seems to have similar specs though worse ADEV at 1s. On
the other hand, the phase noise is a bit better for the D/E.

Matt