[time-nuts] Re: Upgrade HP 5065A oscillator from 105 to 10811

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Feb 11 18:22:52 UTC 2022

Hi

The various “sub species” of 10811’s were a test and select item done
on the HP line. When they found enough to fill the need for this or that
part number they stopped testing. Some of the normal parts could indeed
be better than the selected versions.

We are now a *long* way past when this selection process was done.
These OCXO’s have been through a lot since they came off the production
line. There is no reason to believe this or that “sub part” actually is any
better than a different dash number.

The only answer these days is to do some shopping. Find a seller with
a big pile of them and a low price. Buy a dozen and test them. If some
look good, buy another dozen and test them. Eventually you will have a
pile of pretty good ones. You also will have a pile of junk units.

Why buy a few and test before diving in for a group? You want to be sure
you aren’t buying from somebody who already has done a sort. Even if
they aren’t aware of it, the group could have been sorted before they
came into the picture.

Is this a bit of a pain? Sure it is. It also is how people have always come
up with those “poster child” versions of the 10811 you see here and there.
Is this or that one a one in twenty or a one in a hundred? My guess is that
even back in the day, one month it went one way and the next month it
swung the other way.

There is nothing particularly special about the board HP used to adapt
the 10811 to do what it needed to do in the 5065A. There is a very similar
part that goes into one of the Cs standards. It also can be adapted to use.
If anything, the mounting bracket is the part you really need :) There are
a number of old threads that pretty much all come to the conclusion
“you could do better” after looking at the HP board. Building one from
scratch is very do-able.

Bob